Migration from MOSS 2007 to SharePoint Server 2010
Step 1: Make sure that SharePoint 2007 farm is running SP2 or later
Step 2: Run the pre upgrade check command on the 2007 farm
Step 3: You can either select In-place upgrade or database attach upgrade
In-place upgrade: Here you are installing the SharePoint 2010 on existing server. Some disadvantage are it will upgrade the existing Moss 2007 server to SharePoint 2010 hence it is difficult to revert back until unless you have the back up.
Database attach upgrade: In this approach you are installing the MOSS 2010 on new server. You can use the moss 2007 content database and migrate to new server as shown below. This approach works perfect and you can use the visual upgrade feature
• Find the content Database by opening the SharePoint 2007 form; Content database are listed under Central Admin->Application Management->Site Collection List
• Backup the content database, you could alternatively detach it, and copy it. Just doing a backup in SQL Server Management studio is easier.
• Restore content database to new server, Copy the BAK file to new server. Create an empty DB in Management Studio, restore from backup, you may need to change an option in the “options” tab of the restore dialog to get it to work. (Overwrite db).
• Create Web App on SharePoint 2010 and remove Content Database from the new web app.
Note: Now use STSADM to add restored DB to this web app c:\program files\common files\Microsoft shared\web server extensions\14\bin on new server is where you can find the STSADM. Run below command, which will upgrade the content db to 2010 or you can use central admin to update the content database.
- stsadm -o addcontentdb -url http://yourwebapp:port -databasename yourcontentdb -databaseserver yoursqlserver
- Run ISSRESET from command prompt
- Deploy all the package and features used in SP 2007 server.
Srikanth kothakanti sharepoint MCP